The learning objectives of the Surgical Pathology Demonstration on Friday 4th November for UCL 2nd Year SSC Medical Students were the following
1 .Review classical examples of inflammatory and neoplastic conditions of the large bowel
2. Compare and contrast specific types of inflammatory condition of the of the large bowel
3. Relate some macroscopic appearances to microscopic changes.
Macro examples shown included cases of
Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis (Inflammatory Bowel Disease – IBD )
- Including Pan Colitis of Ulcerative Colitis
- Ileo-caecal Crohn’s disease
- Inflammatory polyposis in IBD including Giant Polyposis (rare)
- Strictures and Fistulas in Crohn’s Disease
Ischaemic small bowel
- Eg Volvulus (not shown), Small bowel Embolus, Incarcerated (strangulated)hernia, Intussusception of terminal ileum into caecum
Pseudomembranous Colitis (please review typical histology at pathweb).
Diverticular Disease with severe Diverticulitis and Abscess formation
Polyps of the large bowel (Hyperplastic Polyp, Tubular Adenoma, Tubulovillous Adenoma and Villous Adenoma.
Carcinoma of the Colon (typical Radiology Apple Core deformity)
Some presenting symptoms and signs of IBD and Neoplasia of the Lower GI Tract
- CIBH (diarrhoea, constipation), Melena
Increased risk of Dysplasia and Neoplasia in Chronic IBD.
Masses in the right iliac fossa (Quiz results to follow as an attachment)
other bacterial and viruses affecting the lower intestines ( but at some point you should look up)
Bacteria: Clostridium Difficile (discussed) E Coli , Campylobacter, Shigella, Salmonella, Yersinia, Vibrio Cholera
Virus Rotavirus, Norovirus , Cytomegalovirus (discussed in context of superadded infection in IBD)
Protozoa Entamoeba Histolyticum (Amoebiasis)
Infestations Pinworm – Enterobius Vermicularis (Histology section of the appendix shown)
Note the topic for this weeks “Blog/Homework” is
Compare and contrast the conditions Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
This should be 250 – 400 words
Please restrict your blog to one of the following
Clinical presentations and clinical features
Pathology and complications
I will accept essay style or short notes.
No diagrams but include references to the text/articles/website used.
to be sent back by Wednesday 9th November 5 pm ish