BMA UK Consultants Committee
The following are edited highlights that remove confidential or “chatham house rules” discussion. A lot of the discussion papers I have found on the internet, so I have published the links. The last meeting of UK Consultants Committee was held on 6th October 2016. There were approximately 60 representatives including 6 by video conference.
I attended this all day meeting today as one of three representatives of the North East London Regional Consultants Committee ( I am on this as representative of NMUH Medical Staff Committee)
There were a number of consultations that the BMA has responded to
NHS England conflicts of interest consultation
This can be found at
GMC developing the online medical register consultation (previously blogged about)
BMA response is not yet available as a link
BMA Memoradum of evidence to the Doctors and Dentist review body
This can be found at
- Note the DoH “evidence” can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/562447/DDRB_review.pdf
- Health Education England response can be found at https://hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/DDRB%20Written%20Evidence%202017-18%20(Final)_0.pdf
- NhS Employers Submission http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/Employers/Documents/Pay%20and%20reward/DDRB%20submission%20final%20version%20sent%20to%20DDRB%20201718.pdf
- NHS England Submission https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/nhse-initial-written-evidnc-ddrb.pdf
- NHS Improvement Submission https://improvement.nhs.uk/uploads/documents/NHS_Improvement_submission_to_DDRB_and_NHS_PRB_Sept_2016.pdf
- NHS Providers Submission https://www.nhsproviders.org/media/2360/nhs-providers-review-body-on-doctors-and-dentists-remuneration-written-evidence-2017-18.pdf
Updates were given by the devolved nations committee (Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales). There was a discussion of BMA UK-CC Executive subcommittee away day and written updates were noted on 2015 and 2016 Consultant Conference resolutions passed
Oral updates were given on the following
- health care policy by subcommittee chair deputising
- development, communications and professionalism by subcommittee chairs
- Consultant contract negotiations including CEAs by Chair
Reports from the UEMS board and council meetings were received. The International Department of the BMA and European Office were complimented (by me) on their work. I encouraged continued support for the European Office whatever happens in Brexit.
An Update from Andrew Dearden (BMA Treasurer) was given via VC on BMA local engagement trials.
I am sending an e-mail to Andrew over my concerns of loss of secretarial support for RCCs and LNC fora.
Raising awareness among BMA members of STPs
See Kings Fund report ‘STPs in the NHS – how are they being developed in practice?’
A presentation given by from Samantha Jones, NHS England New Care Models Programme Director.
Holly Higgs BMA Policy Adviso gave a presentation on STP’s. See her blog and leave a comment.
BMA London Regional Council held a webinar on Monday
You can view a recording of the webinar at
BMA has published a briefing for members to inform and encourage them to get engaged locally.
See Hub page on the BMA website,
See also BMANews articles:
- 22 August, Doctors must be at ‘heart’ of NHS reorganisation
- 12 October, STPs ‘undeliverable’, says NHS Providers chief
- 14 October, Cancer targets may delay diagnosis of other conditions, say doctors leaders
- 18 October, STP rescue plans ‘can’t be delivered’
BMA briefing paper on STPs
LNC Chairs Conference
The LNC chairs will have a conference on Monday January 23rd 2017.
On the day will be discussed:
- Discussing the junior doctors contract – with an explanation of guardians of safe working, exception reporting and the role of the LNC
- Providing an update on the consultant contract
- Providing discussions on effective job planning within an increasingly pressured health system
- Hearing your thoughts on how the BMA can best support LNCs in their future work.
There is an additional UK-CC meeting on Tuesday 24th January in the afternoon
The UK Consultants Conference for 2016-17 will be on Wednesday 1 March 2017
Health Education England launches announces joint leadership development framework (2016-12-01)
Jeremy Hunts speech to NHS Providers ( 2016-11-30)
2017 BMA Annual Representative Meeting
The BMA Annual Representatives Meeting of the ARM will be Sunday 25 – Thursday 29 June 2017 in Bournemouth